Ash Scattering Legal Questions

Ash scattering legal questions that some families have concerning the scattering of cremains (ashes) at sea are address below. Hopefully, the following will address you concerns and ensure you that all the legal steps are being taken. We are licensed both the state of California (Cemetery and Funeral Bureau) as well as the United States Coast Guard for caring passenger on our various yachts.

Are you Licensed for Scattering at Sea?

cemetery funeral board ash scatter

cemetery funeral board ash scatter

Yes – We are licensed by the California Cemetery and Funeral Board as a “Cremated Remains Disposer” license CDR: 904. There are various regulations which we must follow and we are inspected by the state to ensure that we meet those regulations. As well, our sister company “Funerals Your Way” is a fully licensed funeral home (FD: 2188), so we are able to assist with all your funeral needs – both cremation and scattering at sea.

As well, our captains are licensed by the US Coast Guard. You may feel confident that we are professional and will provide excellent service.

What Legal Paperwork do I Need to Scatter?

You will need a form titled “APPLICATION AND PERMIT FOR DISPOSITION OF HUMAN REMAINS“. If you are currently working with a mortuary they will be able to get this document for you. On this form, box 16a should say “Scattering off the coast of San Diego County“.

However, we most often just obtain this permit for you, there is small fee for this service. We will need an original of the death certificate. We then complete the required form and get it approved by San Diego County Vital Records office. It will be on the yacht for you at the time of your charter. At this time we will return the death certificate to you.

How Can I get a Death Certificate?

In order to obtain a certified copy of the death certificate you will need to have a legal right to do so. Names one of the following;

  • the spouse, domestic partner, parent, legal guardian, child, grandparent, or sibling of the deceased person
  • entitled to receive the record by court order
  • a member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another government agency who is conducting official business
  • a legally authorized representative of the deceased person or of the deceased person’s estate, or
  • an agent or employee of a funeral establishment conducting official business.

If you fall into one of the above categories you may obtain a death certificate from the county records office – the county in which the death occurred.  There is also an on-line service called Vital Check which you may use.

Where can I scatter Ashes

According to the state scattering at sea cannot take place within 500 yards of the shoreline, and includes the inland navigable waters of the state. Scattering at sea does not include lakes and streams, nor does it include scattering from a bridge or pier.

Sometime people wish to scatter in specific locations and we are happy to accommodate their requests. if possible.