- Sea Burial
San Diego Burial at Sea accepts cremated remains for ash scattering at sea off San Diego California – coast and ocean. We are a Premier at Sea Burial Provider ( ash scattering San Diego businesses ) and accept cremains (ashes) from California and throughout the United States. We strive to provide outstanding service to our clients – burials at sea and full funeral home services (affordable San Diego cremations, sea burial and funerals) through a licensed California funeral home (Funerals Your Way – FD:2188) – Families have the convenience of only dealing with one provider for both funeral and cremation needs.
We provide small intimate dignified services on a luxury private yacht which are affordable. We specialize in small groups and you have the complete yacht to yourself with your own private concierge.
San Diego Burial at Sea captains are licensed by the US Coast Guard.
We are commercially insured and licensed by the state of California as a “Cremated Remains Disposer”.
Having the family on the yacht while ash scattering at sea is wonderful
- It provides priceless special lifetime memories and a bonding and sharing time for the family. The privacy of being on yacht makes this possible as opposed to viewing from shore. Do not rob yourself of this wonderful experience.
- A time to grieve, reflect and have your spirits uplifted in a beautiful peaceful setting. Wildlife such as dolphins and sea lions are often near by and come to investigate.
- We have several ash scattering locations, water is usually very calm and if the sun catches the ashes just right, they will sparkle as you watch them disperse.
- It is a very clean process as the ashes and rose pedals are lowered to the ocean surface. Your loved one is becoming one with the ocean – as the scattered ashes disperse the rose pedals float in the current. You will be able to get pictures that last a lifetime.
- Many families are concerned about getting sea sick. This is extremely rare. Generally use very large yachts which have the tendency to be very stable as well our usual scattering location is in very quite – lake like – waters. Probably 90% of the charter duration is within the protected waters of San Diego Bay. Even for families who choose to venture out further into open ocean the southern Californian waters are seldom an issue. If however, you are very sensitive to getting sea sick you should take precautions before your ash scattering charter.
Cremation – Sea Burial – Ash Scattering Services
An increasing number of people are choosing cremation and burial at sea (ash scattering) for their funeral selection for a variety of reasons. Not only is it significantly less expensive, rich in nautical background and preserves land usage, but is a celebration of life – saying goodbye in a peaceful beautiful setting. The ocean is majestic and surrounds all on it with beauty.
Our ash scattering ceremonies are performed from a variety of locations off the San Diego Coast such as Point Loma, La Jolla, Ocean Beach Pier, Crystal Pier, off Cabrillo Monument on Point Loma. If you have a specific location to scatter we would be pleased to accommodate your wishes.
After the ash scattering the exact GPS position of the burial ceremony is recorded. This information is used to complete the memorial certificate which will be sent to the family – generally within a few hours of the scattering. Additional sea ash scattering options can be provided as requested to make you even more unique.
Feelings After Ash Scattering at Sea
Feeling are complex things – difficult to understand – impossible to control – they can rule us. We had had a lot of experience with families and the burial at sea – ash scattering – experience. Your experience is unique and many be different but we have found that ash scattering leaves the families with a tremendous sense of closure and peace.
We think the reason for this is the letting go of the loved on in such a beautiful setting. The ocean is beautiful and continues forever and teams with life. We often have sea-lion, dolphins or on occasion a whale appear. It is difficult to not be overwhelmed by the ocean’s beauty.
So, in short they feel better. This may not be your experience – we hope it will be!
Famous People Scattered at Sea
Many notable people have chosen burial at sea such as Steve McQueen, Rock Hudson, John F. Kennedy, Jr as well as many others. Currently approximately 50% of people would choose cremation and many of them choose to scatter the remains in some manner, many over water. Burial at sea is common if the deceased enjoyed the outdoors and the water. Perhaps they loved boating or some other aspect of the aquatic environment.
It is also possible to perform a burial at sea with no remains. This can be done when it is not possible to retrieve remains – in the case of a disaster where no body is found. A service can be performed and a memorial or flowers placed in the water. Although not strictly a burial at sea, it does provide the family and friends with a form of closure to aid in the grieving process.
Arizona – Phoenix – Tucson – Burial at Sea
We do accept cremains from throughout the United States. Many of our families come from the Phoenix area as well as various other areas in Arizona. Many Arizonans have close ties to the San Diego area and their relatives wish to have their final resting place in the ocean here.
We do however have families come from all over the world. We have probably scattered people from every state, most provinces in Canada. several countries from Europe. I remember one lady who few in from Japan just for the ash scattering and then caught the next flight back home.